President Donald Trump make a big announcement

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators from the United States and Iran are โ€œgetting closerโ€ to finalizing an agreement that would end the war, according to an interview given to CBS News and cited by Reuters.

The White House leader said that a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that the enriched uranium held by Tehran is managed in a โ€œsatisfactoryโ€ way.

โ€œI will only sign an agreement through which we get everything we want,โ€ Trump said, according to CBS News.

Iran, the United States, and Pakistan, which is mediating the negotiations, said on Saturday that talks aimed at ending the nearly three-month-long war had made progress.

At the same time, sources close to the negotiations say that mediators are moving closer to extending the ceasefire between the United States and Iran by another 60 days.

Discussions in Washington about resuming attacks

Earlier, sources cited by Axios and CBS said that the U.S. government is considering new attacks against Iran, after Donald Trump changed his schedule in order to remain in Washington this weekend, fueling speculation about a possible resumption of hostilities against Tehran.

According to CBS News sources, the U.S. military is preparing for possible new attacks over the weekend.

On Friday morning, the American president gathered his closest advisers to discuss the war in Iran, Axios also reported. No decision has been made yet, CBS emphasized.

The United States struck Iranian nuclear facilities last summer on a Saturday, and the attacks on Iran began this year on February 28, also on a Saturday. This is a long weekend in the U.S. because Monday is Memorial Day, when even the stock markets are closed.

Iran says it has rebuilt its military capabilities and warns of “even more crushing” retaliation if Washington resumes attacks

Iranโ€™s chief negotiator and speaker of parliament, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, told Pakistanโ€™s army chief during a meeting on Saturday in Tehran that Iran would not compromise on its rights, state television reported, according to Reuters.

He said that Iranโ€™s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the truce and that, if the United States โ€œrecklessly resumes the war,โ€ the consequences would be โ€œeven more crushing and more bitter.โ€

Iran says it has rebuilt its military capabilities and warns of โ€œeven more crushingโ€ retaliation if Washington resumes the attacks.

Iranโ€™s chief negotiator and speaker of parliament, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, told Pakistanโ€™s army chief during a meeting on Saturday in Tehran that Iran would not compromise on its rights, state television reported, according to Reuters.

He said that Iranโ€™s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the truce and that, if the United States โ€œrecklessly resumes the war,โ€ the consequences would be โ€œeven more crushing and more bitter,โ€ Agerpres reports.

Pakistanโ€™s army chief, Asim Munir, is holding talks with the Iranian leadership in Tehran amid intensified diplomatic efforts aimed at ending the war in Iran, dpa reports.

According to Iranโ€™s public broadcaster IRIB, Munir met late Friday evening with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi for talks that continued past midnight.

No details about these discussions were disclosed, according to dpa.

As part of this mediation effort, Field Marshal Munir was expected to meet with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian after holding talks with the speaker of parliament, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

Sources in Pakistanโ€™s security services previously told dpa that Munir was in Tehran to discuss a possible draft agreement between the United States and Iran.

The U.S. could strike Iran again this weekend, American media reports

The U.S. government is considering new attacks against Iran, according to sources cited by Axios and CBS, after Donald Trump changed his schedule in order to remain in Washington this weekend, fueling speculation about a possible resumption of hostilities against Tehran.

According to CBS News sources, the U.S. military is preparing for possible new attacks over the weekend.

On Friday morning, the American president gathered his closest advisers to discuss the war in Iran, Axios also reported.

No decision has been made yet, CBS emphasized.

The United States struck Iranian nuclear facilities last summer on a Saturday, and the attacks on Iran began this year on February 28, also on a Saturday. This is a long weekend in the U.S. because Monday is Memorial Day, when even the stock markets are closed.